PILIGRIM TOUR OF IMERETI AND KARTLI
Since entering St. Andria the Apostle in Georgia here were preached more two apostle, Simon the Zealot and St. Matthias. Centuries have passed and Christ's words were given forgotten and gradually falling down, especially in eastern Georgia. Therefore Saint Mary choose Saint Nino from Cappadocia and gave Cross of Wine to continue preach the word of Christ in Georgia. The Cross of Wine was enlightener of Georgian people why they get Orthodoxy.
Svetitskholeli - a masterpiece of Georgian architecture. The first temple, which was erected after the adoption of Christianity. At first it was made of wood, in the 5th century stone church was erected on the site of the old one , which ruins are preserved. Finally, in the 11th century was built a cross-shaped Temple in the name of the Twelve Apostles Church. Catholicos of Kartli Melqisedek built a new temple on the place of old one. He invited Arsakidze as architecture . Construction began in 1010 and ended in 1029. Many holy things are kept in Svetitzkhoveli ,especially foot of saint Andria and of course priceless relics of Christianity - Christ's robe .
Monastery of Jvari (Cross)– Georgian monastery complex of 6th century, which is built near the merge of rivers Kura and Aragvi. It is built on the place where st.Nino put out the cross as a symbol of the victory of Christianity to Paganism. Jvari - the first cross-shaped architectural structure building in the world.
Metekhi - The historic district on a high cliff overlooking on the banks of the Kura River. This area is particularly sacred for Georgians, because here was tortured for Christianity saint of Tbilisi - St. Abo Tbileli. Here were also tortured one hundred thousand people for faith, there is no other fact in the history of torturing so many people in one day for religion.
Anchiskhati - VI century Christian church built in the reign of Dachiujarmeli. Anchiskhati church is 3 nave basilica itself is built of hewn ( initial layer ), and the upper part of the walls and all the bricks inside the pole (XVII century restoration ) . His name is associated with " Anchi " Savior icon in the XII century which is decorated by the greatest artists of 12th century Beka and Bekshen Opizars. Currently image is kept in the National Museum.
Sioni Cathedral of St. Mary Assumption - a monument of Georgian architecture , cross - domed temple. According to sayings Sion - one of the temples built by King Vakhtang. In Sioni Cathedral is Kept at the shrine of the Orthodox Church - St. Nino's cross. In Altar, under the sacrificial are buried near 550 years St. Evstati Mtskheteli parts.
Kashueti Temple - in this ancient temple, went through three stages of its life. The first church was built by David Garejeli on the site of miracle. The second time was built church in 18th century on the place of the first church with initiative if milakhvars.
Finally, in the years 1904-1910 the present church was built by the architect L. Bilfeld.
Holy Trinity Cathedral - Georgian Orthodox Church built in 1500 to commemorate the anniversary of Christ's birth in 2000, the Georgian church , the largest in the world - one stands out. Cathedral Trinity Temple complex consists of several churches. There are many relics, including marble tile from Mount Athos by name - "Jesus is Victory."
Blue Monastery - Old Georgian Orthodox cathedral in Tbilisi. The church was built at the end of the 12th century, on the place of older church. In the building were used parts of the old church. According to an inscription on the southern entrance, the church was built by "unworthy Basil, a former archbishop of Kartli" , brother of Abulasan’s political figure during the Tamara king.
Monastery of Samtavro - monuments of 11th century and the first half of an Episcopal church in Mtskheta. Church of St. Nino stands in the yard to the East of a temple. It is a small domed building. According to historical sources, St. Nino held prayers here for three years and cured patients. Here is buried St. Gabriel Salosi Confessor , whose tomb of the great miracles.
Shio cave monastery complex - It was founded by one of the Assyrian monk Shio in the 6th century. According to his will, Shio was buried in the cave. A church was built in the XI century , the monastery complex now consists of John the Baptist Church, Upper Church, refectory , andChapel near the monastery . Church of St. John the Baptist Church strict formed almost buried underground, he was the domed Georgian architecture - One important example , is built on the Holy Father Shio .
Samtavisi - Georgia Orthodox cross - domed temple. According to the legend , Samtavisi together with Tbilisi Sioni Cathedral , Tsilkni, ertatsmindisa and Chardin , was built by Grand Gorgasali. Samtavisi old church was built in 472. Nothing remained from the building. X-XI centuries Samtavisi relatively small temple was built . There are no written sources preserved. The final form of the Temple XV - XVI century, built in 1847, underwent restoration .
Ateni Sion - cross domed temple of 7th century first half. Temple Central - the cross - domed (24X19 m height 22 m), tetrakonkis type, built with green - grey sand stone squares, colored stones were used in the other. Entrances are from South and North. In 1968-1975 specific research - repaired and fortified the temple facade restoration workshop in the lower sections of the dome roof. In 1983 the building was roofed stone lorpins ( led by r. Gverdtsiteli ), paintings were cleaned and rebuilt.
Kintsvisi - Georgian architectural monument - the monastery ensemble , whose buildings are still preserved almost in its original form at the beginning of the XIII century saint . St. Nicholas crossed - domed , rectangular plan of the temple. Kintsvisi is distinguished by its unique patterns , Kintsvisi Archangel image - one of the most beautiful paintings around the world , on the north wall are depicted George III, Queen Tamar and Lasha - George .
Gelati Monastery - Georgian architectural ensemble of the most important medieval center. It was established in 1106 under the leadership of David the builder. Is included in the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list. David IV the greatest king of Georgian history is buried here. Derbent gate is stored here, which was brought by David the king from the coast of the Caspian Sea , after the seizure of Derbent Khanate.
Bagrati Temple – was built by the order of the Bagrat III in 1003, with the status of the main cathedral, of Saint Mary's name. Medieval church occupies a special place in the hearts of the people because it was built by King Bagrat, in honor of Georgia’s union.
Katskhi stone column - is located in the river valley of katskhurisa and ghvitoris. 40 meters high, on top of the pillar, are erected two churches which are in accordance with the VI and XI century BC. In ancient times, monks used thick rope to climb Katskhi. Today, she is protected by a metal ladder.
Kvatakhevi, or Kvabtakhevi - XII-XIII century Georgian monastery. Located in the Kartli region, near the river Kavturi. Kvatakhevi monastic complex includes the main temple, a dining hall, a tower and cells. Was originally a convent. Church exterior - interior and nature are amazing - nature is hidden in Orchards , elegant , brilliant creativity of the legacy of the Middle Ages , has an unique impression on every visitor.
Day 1: Arrival in Tbilisi International Airport / transfer to the hotel / overnight in Tbilisi /
Day 2: Tbilisi pilgrim tour / overnight in Tbilisi /
Day 3: Mtskheta / Jvari / Svetickhoveli / Samtavro / Shio mgvime / overnight in Tbilisi /
Day 4: Samtavisi / Ateni Sioni / Kintsvisi / overnight in Kutaisi /
Day 5: Bagrati / Motsameta / Gelati / Kackhi clumn / overnight in Kutaisi
Day 6: Kvatakhevi /overnight in Tbilisi /
Day 7: Transfer to the airport /
Note: Price depends on accommodation type and persons quantity.
After Christ's ascension, Apostles with the instruction of Holy Spirit was divided the countries among each other with reference to disseminate Christianity. Georgia was the part of the mother of Mary . The country where was kept Prophet Elijah’s Khalens and Christ's robe.
See the picturesque villages and towns of central Greece as you travel to Meteora from Delphi. Once in Meteora, explore the monasteries and its age-old treasures.
Visit Bethlehem, the City of Bread - a result of the wheat crop that grew in the region, and the birthplace of King David.
The country where was kept Prophet Elijah’s Khalens and Christ's robe and away the centuries after the Terrible - Iconoclast not touched. Since then, on the blessed land of Georgia, except for Andrew preached by two Apostles of Christ - Simon the zealot, Mattathias and the apostles and the right light. Nino from Cappadocia.